In various ways and in a variety of roles, I’ve been actively helping people in businesses for over 20 years. From the day-to-day practicalities of running a business, down to analysing customer motivations and what triggers them to buy from you.
For 15 of those years, I was self-employed, learning what it takes to go it alone. In my time, I’ve carried out in depth market research for a global company to help them better understand their customers; I’ve project coordinated the testing of hundreds of consumer products for an Industry ‘Oscars’; and run feasibility studies to ascertain if a business idea is worth turning into reality.
Best of all, as Cornwall raised and educated, I’ve achieved all of this and still been able to remain in this beloved county.
- My perfect day involves... A long coastal walk with the dogs broken by a late afternoon swim in the sea.
- Career highlight... Getting this job! I love talking to people and learning about their entrepreneurial ideas and business ambitions. It’s a great feeling being able to offer help that will help them to grow.
- Local businesses that I salute... A food or drink enterprise will always pique my interest as I’m a sucker for anything tasty… But in all seriousness, I really admire the tenacity of hard-working business owners who look to improve, change and adapt to better serve customers even in the most difficult times.
- Most people don't know this but I'm a closet... wannabe silver jewellery maker.
- If I could give start-up's one piece of advice... Do your research first. Be sure there’s a market for what you intend to do.
- Most useful training course I've been on... I went on a bread-making course about 10 years ago. It means I’ve never had to buy a loaf since!